Sudbury Catholic Schools value second language learning. We offer early French Immersion and Core French programs to all students. SCDSB French teachers are all fluent in French and trained in second language education. A variety of books, audio-visual materials and computer programs are available throughout the board for classroom use.
In all French as a Second Language programs, students realize the vision of the FSL curriculum as they strive to:
- Use French to communicate and interact effectively in a variety of social settings.
- Learn about Canada, its two official language, and other cultures.
- Appreciate and acknowledge the interconnections and interdependence of the global community.
- Be responsible for their own learning as they work independently and in groups.
- Use effective language learning strategies.
- Become lifelong language learners for personal growth and for active participation as World citizens.
The SDCSB offers an early French Immersion program option which is available to all students. This is a highly successful approach to second language learning in which students receive instruction in French for a significant portion of the day. Students study the same curriculum content as their peers in the regular English program. It is designed to provide English-speaking children with the opportunity to become highly proficient in French as well as in English. There is no expectation that parents of students in the French Immersion program are able to understand or speak French.
An Immersion program means that French is not only the medium in which subjects are taught, but it is also the means of communication between pupils and teacher in the classroom and, as much as possible beyond the classroom.
By the end of the four-year program in secondary school, students will:
- Participate easily in conversations and discussions.
- Be able to take courses at the college or university level in which French is the language of instruction.
A full program is available from Grade 9 to Grade 12.
- 10 Immersion credits
- 4 courses in FRENCH Immersion
- 6 courses in other subjects taught in French
- Opportunity to challenge the DELF (French Competency Exam)
Études Carrières et Civisme
Étude des religions
Le droit Canadien
Le Canada et le monde: une analyse géographique.
Politique Canadienne et Mondiale
To learn more about our French as a Second Language program, please go to the following website.